Reglaze Glasses Frames

Written by Jim Romand

Topics: Tips and Advice

Reglaze glasses services can end up saving you a small fortune if you shop around carefully. If you are like me and own many pairs of spectacles that you have paid top dollar for then you will probably get to the stage where you start to wonder why you don’t just get the frames re-glazed with new lenses and save your self the expense of purchasing a new frame every time your sight test prescription changes. If you want to reglaze glasses online then you will, first of all, need to find an online supplier who offers a prescription reglaze service. If you look hard enough you will find some online glasses retailers who do not charge a ‘reglaze glasses fee’ for fitting lenses into your own frame. You can save quite a considerable amount this way as some online companies can charge up to £40 just for the reglaze fee. The second thing to make sure is that the company you are going to use can supply you with the lenses that you will require (eg. the same type of lens, varifocal or bifocal). This is quite important as you don’t really want to go from having a good quality single vision lens or varifocal into a lower grade lens as you will notice a decline in the optical quality of the lens when looking through them.

You will also want to ensure that whoever you use will contact you before they start the reglaze process if they find anything wrong with the frame you have sent them. This is due to the fact that some frames, especially plastic frames, can become brittle over a period of time and so are more at risk of breaking when they go through the reglazing process. If you are unsure if your frame will be suitable then try and speak to someone at the company before you commit to paying the fee and sending your frame in.

If you are planning to reglaze glasses with varifocals that you already own then doing this online is a very good and cheap alternative to paying through the nose at your local opticians. This is because the online glasses retailer can take all the measurements needed from your existing pair in order to ensure that the lenses are fitted correctly. I know people who have save themselves a couple of hundred pounds doing it this way as you can find branded varifocals on the internet for almost a third of the price you would pay on the high street. To summarise, reglazing your existing frame online will save you money and the hassle of having to make a couple of  trips to your local opticians and being fleeced into paying top whack for lenses that will cost you a lot less when buying them online.

12 Comments Comments For This Post I'd Love to Hear Yours!

1. Chris says:

Fantastic article, we reglaze only, don’t sell any frames at all. Lots of people just want to use their frame again, but don’t want to pay more for the reglaze than they did for the original pair of glasses. The lenses we supply come from proper Uk registered suppliers, as we are run and operated by a registered Optician. Nice to see someone preaching the same message as we have for the last 4 years!

2. OnencePet says:

thanks! :)

lets write them until the admit it, or stop doing it! i am writing them now!

3. Angie Klein says:

TAKING EYE WEAR TO THE 3rd DIMENSION

Kirk Originals are delighted to announce the global launch of their new Sculpture collection. Sculpture features an extraordinary innovation in the world of eyewear designed to take your specs appeal to another dimension.

‘Sculpture’, as defined, is “three-dimensional artwork created by the shaping or combining of hard materials” and for centuries has been a very important form of public art. Taking a lead from these cues and working with specialist acrylic artists, Kirk Originals have created a unique collection of materials with textures, patterns and colours that actually change and morph in different lighting conditions creating a stunning 3-dimensional effect within the frame.

The new Sculpture collection comes in 6 new styles: Duane, Dusty, Joni, Martha, Otis and Sly each of which are available in 6 tantalising colour combinations as well as 3 Harlequin style fronted frames. The attention to detail extends to the interiors of the frames that have been decorated to create a hue that compliments both the front and exterior tints.

In a market where designers are playing it safe producing frames in tortoise shell and black, Kirk Originals remain defiant, championing bold colours set in extraordinary materials.

4. Jim M. says:

Really decent post… I love it. Keep ‘em coming… :)

5. Great article . Will definitely copy it to my website.

6. Sonny J says:

Tried the glasses retailer that this web site is affiliated with to get my carl zeiss lenses and they quoted me only £100 less than my opticians did. I thought reglazing your glasses online was supposed to be about half the price cheaper?

7. may_g says:

Brilliant!! I just got my glasses reglazed online and have now saved nearly half what I paid last time. i was always told by my optician not reglaze glasses online but now I realise why he said it, cheeky bugger!

8. Derek says:

Used a reglaze service on the internet last month and was shocked at just how much money I saved. All these years I’ve been shelling out for new lenses at my Opticians and now I know the truth of how much the markup is on these lenses. Got to say that I was very, very pleased with what I got online and they managed to match the brand of lens I had in my previous pair (Zeiss).

9. John_Penny says:

I had new lenses put in my own frame which was an Oakley rimless and the optician I took it to cracked the frame. When I asked for compensation they told me that it was at my own risk and wouldn’t offer me anything but still charged me for the lenses. F**king ‘should have gone to Shitsavers’ more like!!!

10. Polly_may says:

@John_Penny – Oh you poor dear! I used to go to those high street imbeciles and they totally cocked up my really expensive Oakley Juliet frames. of course they wouldn’t take responsibility for it and made out it was my fault, WTF??!!

when I needed new thinned down lenses in my frame I used one of the companies recommended by the guy who writes this blog and they are exceptional and very cheap to. They took great care of my new Juliet frames and sent them back within a few days with the new lenses. you should call these guys as they are just as cheap as Specsavers, even cheaper for the lenses and they do a much better job in my opinion.

Here is the web address: http://www.onlineglassesdirect.co.uk

11. Daniel says:

great post, thanks for sharing

12. BurkeLenore says:

This is understandable that cash makes us independent. But how to act if one doesn’t have money? The one way only is to try to get the home loans and just sba loan.

Leave a Comment Here's Your Chance to Be Heard!